
Now I've always loved the ballet, like most little girls pretty much all of my drawings at a young age included women walking around on their tippy tippy toes, this has turned into a borderline obsession due to the trailers for 'Black Swan' and the costume designs by Rodarte. So imagine how disappointed I was when I walked into the gallery, saw a room full to bursting with mannequins wearing all of the STUNNING archive pieces, and just as I was about to start snapping away was shouted at by a security guard for 'copyright infringement'!!!
Fear not though! I managed to find one picture of the Firebird costume from 1954 online (it was even more stunning in real life).

Which leads me onto the issue of photography in blogs. Many of my favourite blogs are the one with good quality pictures to go with the story/ outfit. I'm a visual person and I like to see pictures of people's outfits, homes, days out but I also like to see the shops they visited the sights they saw ... when is it ok to take pictures and when isn't it?
For example, yesterday I bought an amazing 1960s two piece suit from Oxfam Originals (which I will show you all very soon) the shop was empty so I asked if I could take a few pictures for my blog. They said no until they spoke to head office to get approval. The next shop I went into is one of my favourite vintage stores, 'Ryan's Vintage' in the Northern Quarter. I asked the manager there and he was more than happy for me to wander the vast shop snapping away and I hadn't even bought anything.
Has anyone else ever had this problem? Does anyone else try to take pictures out and about and if so have you had an experience like this?
In any case these are the pictures I did manage to take, if you are in the area I would definitely recommend visiting!


I've had people who haven't wanted me to take photos and I have no idea why. I'm not sure what they expect me to do, especially in vintage shops when the items have probably been copied to death over the years any way. Hey, ho,their loss, they won't feature on your blog now! xx
ReplyDeleteI generally don't take photos in stores because I'm aware that they would *usually* say no! I've never had an experience like that though, except for this one time at a concert - and it was only because I had an SLR, which I think is completely unfair.
ReplyDeleteBut anyway, great photos of the shop, it looks great! ♡
I only took pictures in stores a few times, no one ever told me anything though! x
ReplyDeleteI agree I like photos to go along with what's written. How weird that Oxfam wouldn't let you take pictures!
ReplyDeleteI love that pink suit and I'm looking forward to seeing what you've bought x
Kittenish Behaviour Blog
you're right :) it is from the garden collection :)
ReplyDeleteoh wow I really love your blog :)
do you want to follow each other?
www.simplebutreal.com
i didn't know about this is salford! i will look into this! so thank you.
ReplyDeleteyou know i realised i've not been into afflecks palace in an age or the surrounding vintage shops. i blame being skint. but also i can't always justify paying a fortune for something secondhand :/
x
Oh that shop looks great. I don't really get why you can't take a few shots, free promotion!
ReplyDeleteThat hasn't happened to me yet because I always forget to take pictures! I know I should because photos make a post much more interesting and I'd like to post more than my outfits. You took some lovely pictures and I'll try to follow your example! xx
ReplyDeletehttp://stripesandscarlets.blogspot.com
hmm i haven't been asked not to take pics but never know, might one day!
ReplyDeletewhat an exciting fun day!!!
ReplyDeletethey told you not to take pictures because of copyright infringement?!? That's rubbish! I guess that makes me a full fledged criminal.
ReplyDeleteI love your blog..I'm now following! and thanks for stopping by mine, I'm glad you had a laugh!!
xxo Tess S.
CESTDEMODE.blogspot.com
What a lovely post! Photos with a written bit are always the best, xx
ReplyDeleteFirst of, what a steal for a tripod!
ReplyDeleteNow, on to the juice. I can relate to being told "No pictures!". It was so odd, really. I went to a local vintage shop- not even really vintage, but a lot of handmade goods with a toss of vintage, and as I went to take a picture, I received a strong lecture. I mean, I'd understand it if I was in a top-secret lair, but really? Their loss- they could have had free publicity!!
Great post! Love the images especially that feather dress and the Chanel-esque suit. xo style, she wrote
ReplyDeleteI cant say I've ever had an experience like that - I've taken pictures at a few stores and events and each time I've asked to photograph the store/venue they've been happy to say yes as it's free publicity for them. Love the pic's you took though, that pink jacket is awesome!
ReplyDelete-Danielle
I love the suit jacket!! it's a perfect colour!
ReplyDeleteStop by sometime dear!! Maybe follow each other if you like!
http://mademoiselleconomist.blogspot.com/
Ahh I wish I could see more costumes!
ReplyDeleteBallet isn't as glamorous as it looks though, trust me I'm a ballerina.
<3
Treasurextrove.blogspot.com
Thanks for your lovely comment dear! I LOVE your blog, it's very interesting!
ReplyDeleteI follow you now!!
kiss, www.fantasiedifolletto.com
Mony
Nice pics, and interesting post! <3
ReplyDeleteJust discovered your blog and adore your style girl! Will be sure to follow in the new year :)
ReplyDeletexo Lynzy
http://sparklingfootsteps.blogspot.com
I love the colors of that Firebird costume. Yep, I've run into the no picture taking rule before.
ReplyDeletehttp://roamwhereyouwantto.blogspot.com/
I had the exact same problem a couple of days ago, I went to a Rene Gruau exhibition and I wasn't allowed to take photos because of copyright infringement. there are even several buildings in london that you are not allowed to take photos of the outside of them!! i think that's more than a little ridiculous!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting and food for thought. I do a lot of vintage and thrift shopping and often take pictures inside the shops for my blog. I have yet to be told I couldn't.
ReplyDeleteYour pics are great, by the way... and I'm loving your blog.
xx
November Grey
Ooooh I love ballet too! I'm dying to watch black swan but is not here yet =(
ReplyDeleteAnd yes I had that problem back in september I think... When I wanted to take some pictures inside a store to show the new season and they sent the doorman to tell me I can't photos... =Z
I am not 100% sure why but you a not allowed to take pictures where I work I always turn a blind eye but if they were caught by security they would ask you to stop. I had to get permission from the store manger where I work to take pictures, because of this I always feel uncomfortable taking pictures in stores.
ReplyDelete£1.00 for a tripod bargain wish we had flea markets where I live xoxo
Oh my gosh, i would love love love to go see that exhibition, that firebird costume is stunning! Acck, and yes, i'm always so scared someone's going to come and say i'm not allowed to be taking photos, haha! How nice of the manager to let you take photos, that shop looks great!
ReplyDeletexxxxxxxxx
I have never had that experience, I must say! Great pictures, I just love that pink suit. :)SArahD
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post- you addressed something that I find myself wondering ALLLL the time. It's so strange that snapping a picture is considered a copyright infringement.. maybe because they think we'll try to reproduce the item for ourselves by using the photo as a guide? Not sure... but I think it's great that you ask anyway! I'm always a bit afraid of the weird looks and nasty replies, so I just avoid taking pictures in stores all together. So kudos to you!! :D
ReplyDelete*Claudia* x
Molto ❤ Fashion
OMG the dress in the second picture is so amazing! I really love it! :D
ReplyDeletexxx
I currently use my phone camera, so not good quality. We were in the second row of a concert at the Paramount Theater in Downtown Seattle years ago and I didn't bring a camera because at broadway shows in that same theater, theater personnel chased down people trying to take pictures in the theater. I think it had to do with flashes affecting the preservation of the ornamentation? I dunno. I should have known better that Event Security at a concert would be more concerned with crowd control than preservation.
ReplyDeleteOkay, that was a long response!
Thanks so much for responding guys, I'm going to respond to all of you soon but this has just caught me eye on Le Bloe Le Betty
ReplyDeletehttp://www.leblogdebetty.com/en/2011/01/11/tell-me-more-tell-me-more/
Besides from looking stunning (how much do I love red shoes ... drool) she also sneakily mentions hiding from shop assistants to take pictures. Nice to know its not just my face putting people off lol!
xXx
loving that suit.
ReplyDeletePinkPopMash
Hi! I received a blog award and would like to pass it along to you! Check out my latest post for the details.
ReplyDeletehttp://roamwhereyouwantto.blogspot.com/2011/01/and-award-goes-to.html
Thanks so much for your lovely comment :) Really glad you like my blog. And thanks for the compliment, that shirt's one of my current favourite things! :)
ReplyDeleteI know exactly what you mean - I've had some really positive response and then people who've been downright rude and grumpy.
xxx
Lovely inspirations <3
ReplyDeleteI also experienced the "Please don't take pictures thing" - don't they get that it's like advertising for free?!?
wow this looks amazing! great post :)
ReplyDeletepepperandchips.blogspot.com
I decided to look up about copyright/ general rights to do with photography. It's never left me.
ReplyDeleteIf you're not in someone's personal space, you can take a photo. That[s the main rule. It's understandable (is that a word?) with galleries, if everyone took photos & everyone else saw it online, they wouldn't get many people coming up. What a ramble. Great post. x hivennn.
invading someone's personal space**
ReplyDeleteI guess some people don't like that people would take pictures of their shop because they don't want to be featured on sites they don't approve of perhaps? Their loss really... :)
ReplyDeletewow amazing dress! and i love that pink blazer it's so cute. <3
ReplyDelete